01 02 03 <$luxuryblush$> 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

How to Declutter Your Makeup Collection

34


I'm surprised that this even happened, but I had a sort out. Yes, I actually went through stuff that I owned and made the extraordinary change to throw things away. This was tough for me, as I'm a hoarder. I like to collect and I like to keep. This did get a little out of hand, hence this post.

In this post I'm going to go through some of the things that I did to downsize a little, as do we really need a Soap and Glory hand cream that has been sat in a draw for three years?

1. Check the Sell By Dates

Just like food, makeup expires. Most cosmetics have a little symbol that's shaped like a jar with the amount of months it should be kept. This is different for most products depending on the formula and what the product is. Here is a list of what product have what shelf life:

Foundation:  6 to 12 Months

Concealer: 6 to 12 Months

Powders: Around 2 Years

Pencils: 12 Months

Mascara: 3 to 6 Months

Lipstick: 12 to 18 Months

Creams: 12 to 18 Months

I mainly threw away skin care that I've had for what feels like decades and a few old lip glosses that I picked up in B&M. I will admit that I don't really stick to these dates, as you can tell when a product has gone bad, if the smell has changed and there's a change in texture, it might be time to say goodbye.

2. Do You Use It?

If you have products that have been sat in a draw for a long time that have never seen the light of day, do they really need to be there? Just think something you really love could be sat there instead. A lot of people sell this kind of makeup on sites like Depop or simply give it to friends or family. This might also be a brilliant way of rediscovering your older products. Also if you have products that are new or barely used they can go to a women's shelter!

3. When Was The Last Time You Wore It?

If you haven't worn that lipstick for over a year are you going to wear it now? I totally understand that some products are seasonal like plum in the Autumn and Corals in the Summer, but if that coral lipstick was not whipped out last Summer, is it really going to make a special appearance next Summer?

4. Do You Really Need That Dupe?

I don't know about you, but have a dupe for an expensive product can be a really good feeling, especially if the cheaper option is good quality. Nothing like a bargain! Sometimes though when you invest in the real thing the dupe is pushed to the back of the draw never to be seen again, so it may better going to a different home.

5. Categorise 

In order to make the decluttering process a little easier, it may be a good idea to sort your products into three different categories: Keep, Throw, Unsure and Give Away for example. This will make it so much easier when it comes to the end, as you'll know what you want to do with everything.

6. Ask Yourself The Right Questions

It can be a little easy to carried in the 'but it's so pretty!' hype, but if the product doesn't work for you, is it really worth keeping? Asking yourself questions can really help you narrow your products down especially in your maybe pile. For Example:

Does it fit with my current style? If you no longer like orange lipsticks do you really need four of them?

Is it Compatible With Your Skin Type?: Sometimes you may get drawn in to a foundation that's better for people with dry skin when you have oily, so it may be a good idea to say goodbye.

I really hope these tips help you!

When was the last time you had a sort out?

Thank you for reading!


35 36 37 38